This message can be due to several causes. The most common ones are listed below:
- Outdated or incorrect/corrupted video card and/or sound card drivers
- Incorrect game graphics settings
- Corrupted DirectX installation
- Corrupted installation
Try the following for these:
- Check with your PC maker for updated drivers for your sound and video cards and install the most up to date ones they have available. If you have a custom built PC, check with the card maker’s site. (For many “onboard” sound cards you may need to contact the Motherboard manufacturer for drivers).
- Open “My Documents” (XP) / “Documents” (Vista) > “The Lord of the Rings Online” and in there should be a file named “Userpreferences.ini”. Rename the file (eg. OldUserpreferences.ini) and relaunch the game to test. If there is no userpreferences file on the main launcher screen click the first button in the row in the upper right corner, (the one with the single down-arrow on it) choose Options. Under the “Repair” tab, click to enable the “Reset game display settings” option. Click Ok and login again to test.
- Reinstall the most updated release of DirectX 9.0C (10 for Vista but it also needs the 9.0c runtimes) from Microsoft here.
- Uninstall the game via “Add or Remove Programs” in the XP Control Panel (“Uninstall a Program” if on Vista) Once the uninstaller finishes, delete the “The Lord of the Rings Online” folders in “My Documents” (“Documents” on Vista) and C:\Program Files\Turbine prior to reinstalling. If you need to download the LOTRO client, click HERE.
If you need additional assistance, please contact Turbine Technical Support.